After reinstalling windows (now running 8.1) on my main machine and connecting to a Hyper-V server running on my server machine (Hosting Win Server 2012, etc) I encountered a problem. For some reason it said “Access Denied. Unable to establish communication between […]”. Googling around resulted in a find of this blog post by Philip Elder. These are the steps to solve the issue:
- Go to Component Services (%windir% -> search for “dcomcnfg” and launch dcomcnfg.exe)
- Go to Console Root -> Component Services -> Computers -> My Computer
- Right click on My Computer and go to COM Security tab
- Click on “Edit Limits…” in Access Permissions area
- Select ANONYMOUS LOGON group and enable Remote Access permission
- Launch Hyper-V Manager and select required VM. It should connect without any issues
The information here is based on Philip Elder’s article. I recreated the set of steps in this blog post to make it easier for me to find this information when needed.